Great How to Make Unique Wood Walking and Hiking Sticks

Check this out: http://www.walking-hiking-sticks.com

Get on the list to get some great tips how to make wood walking sticks and hiking staffs. Also, will tell you about a great guide that shows how to make great walking sticks.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Aspens are Great

Wow, I just started to create a unique hiking sticks from the Aspens collected last month in Colorado. This is the second time I work on this type of wood. The color of the wood is white with some yellow and light brown streaks. It is used by carvers and turners.

I actuall y stripped the aspen before I left Colorado and place the sticks in a fishing pole bag for transport home (checked-in luggage). I forgot my ski bag so I was limited to collecting one 9 walking sticks wood while on my trips (5 Aspen, 3 Willows and one Fir)

While in Steamboat I picked up a turned vase about 20" in height and 8" round with an area that had area with a dressed look along one side. After looking at the vase I decided to search the area for saplings (I took a 7 mile hike). The saplings were dense in the 8,000 to 9,000 feet range. there were some higher stands too.

I collected 5 saplings of various lengths. Most were straight but I was able to collect a couple snow pressed ones where the root ball will make a great handle.

The current stick of Aspen has a natural "Y" as the top. I plain to wood burn on the walking staff image. Afterwards to make it a trail walking sticks I will put a brass collar and spike on the bottom. I usually use metal for collars/spike for trail sticks and rubber for one used to walk on pavement. I create the spike it using a copper or brass brass end cap that fits the diameter of the end of the stick. Then I use shaped bolt to create the spike for the walking stick.

Then I use a electric grinder to shape the bolt into a point. I use two or three pins to connect the end cap to the stick (sometimes I harden the wood first). This is a great way to make custom walking stick ends.

I will post the final stick once completed.

No comments: