Great How to Make Unique Wood Walking and Hiking Sticks

Check this out: http://www.walking-hiking-sticks.com

Get on the list to get some great tips how to make wood walking sticks and hiking staffs. Also, will tell you about a great guide that shows how to make great walking sticks.

Monday, November 3, 2008

How to Polish and work Black Coral



Hi I need to understand some of the restrictions on black coral, I am a shell artist I have found black coral just laying on the beach and decided to create, not knowing the laws I have used it for Art does that make a difference. I have sold a piece, will I be able to send it by mail? I also need to understand the pricing of black coral. I have to put the price on the art piece that will incorporate the value of the coral. Also please tell me the best way to polish it

thanks so much Spirit M.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your questions. Earlier this year I sold some black coral on EBay my relatives collected many years ago in the Keys (50+ years ago). I have collected some coral myself but not in the US. The laws vary from state to state but for most areas in the states it is illegal to collect live coral or coral anywhere in the water. If the stems/branches wash up on shore the laws vary. I'm not an expert on the coral collecting laws. Some Caribbean Island strictly enforces their laws. If you are on a public beach with lifeguards ask them if you can pick up the pieces that wash up on shore. Many times they know the local laws.

Working coral is very similar to working soft wood. First make sure you are in a WELL ventilated area and wear a paper face air filter - you do not want to breathe the coral or polishing particles.

I usually hand work black coral or use a wet belt drum sander. Coral is soft so it works FAST.

Use a jeweler’s saw or metal nippers to cut the coral to the size you need for your project.

Now start sanding with 220 grit paper to get all the outer layer off and imperfections off the piece. When it looks good switch to 600 grit papers fro the final sanding. The smoother the surface the better polish it takes.

Now get red jewelry polish (usually comes in a stick or bar). The red rouge works better the tan. If you have a red jewelers cloth us it.

Use a soft cloth, wheel buffer or a dremel buffing accessory polish the coral. DO not use too high of a speed. The coral will polish to a high gloss fast!

I hope this helps. If you have comments or other questions please let me know. In addition to jewelry black coral is great to use as an inlay on walking sticks. If you use it in your handle then when you use the stick you hand oils help keep it polished.